Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ,
so that whether I come and see you or am absent,
I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit,
with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Even the midst of silence, pray.

Prayer.

A topic that I have been longing to write about, but have neglected to do so due to my lack of passionate prayer. In the past few months I have dealt with much spiritual struggle, and the one thing that I have tried to be passionate about is prayer. Throughout this time not only do my own efforts and strength fall short, but I too fall short in every single way possible.

I have had times where I have prayed in obedience to the Lord, even though I may have felt empty. And I have had sweet times of intimacy with the Lord during prayer. But it's always the darker times that we focus on, rather than the light. And it's always the times of silence that bring about doubt and worry.

What I have been asking myself and what I am asking you now is...

do we pray like we ought to? 

Do we pray with expectancy that God is going to answer, not with a yes, but just an answer? And when He doesn't answer and there is silence, do we pray less or pray more? Do we pray in faith?

From my experience and knowing my heart the little that I do, I know that I get frustrated. Not only frustrated, but weary. Praying and yet not feeling like anything is happening or that God is even listening leaves you feeling unsatisfied and unfulfilled. You're left feeling like the Lord is not present or is uncaring in the midst of joy or pain. These are fleshly earthly feelings, and certainly not based off of truth.

In the times of rejoicing and in the times of mourning, God is there, He is listening and He truly cares. He never falls short or views you as someone unworthy to be heard. If you are in Christ you have Jesus, whom is God, interceding on your behalf, pleading with God The Father for you. How dare we ever think that the Lord doesn't care or isn't present in seeking Him. His love does not fall short like we do so often.

But are we praying with all of our hearts in faith? Do we pray with expectancy knowing that God is faithful to fulfill His promises? Are we earnestly pleading and seeking after the Lord in our prayers, or are we just saying words to pass the time? Are we simply giving God a list of demands or are we surrendering all and praying that the Lords will would be done, whatever it may be?

Prayer is not a set of empty words, but a cry of recognition and of love to our Father, whether embracing suffering or joy. 

Seek after the Lord in prayer, recognizing that only He can satisfy. We are called to be unceasing in our prayers, even through the silence, through the presence that He gives and through the chaos and confusion of fleshly feelings, knowing that God is faithful in His nature and loving to His children. Rest in His promises and the fulfillment of satisfaction that He alone gives.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 :: Psalm 66:17 :: 1 Corinthians 14:15

Pray, pray and pray. Then repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment