Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ,
so that whether I come and see you or am absent,
I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit,
with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

state of repentance

"What is repentance? It is turning from the sins you love to the holy God you're called to love. It is admitting that you're not God. It is beginning to value Jesus more than you value your immediate pleasure. It is giving up those things the Bible calls sin and leaving them to follow Jesus." - Mark Dever

Let me tell you a little story, hopefully this encourages you, as it has me.
A few weeks ago a wonderful believing friend of mine confessed sin to me that she has been struggling with. She was confessing not only have me hold her accountable, but also to repent. I was amazed. I myself have way too much pride and arrogance to confess sin to anyone that I know. I would be far too ashamed or worried of what they might think. How sinful of me to think this way! Brothers and Sisters in Christ are placed in your life to walk in faith beside you, to support you, rebuke you and love you.

This past month has been a complete battle and as new temptations continue to rise, my flesh and spirit are constantly at war. To be honest, for the longest time it felt like my flesh was winning. Recently I have struggled with sin and throughout that period of time I kept thinking to myself, you can change, you just have to set your mind to it. 
How silly I am for thinking that I could change myself!
The only way that any change could arise in me is if I am completely trusting and relying upon God to change my heart. During my many times of sinning, I have become aware of the fact that I am sinning against a Holy God. A God that gives me grace and new mercies everyday. How undeserving I am.

The Bible speaks so frequently about our need for repentance everyday. If you read Psalm 51 David shows a great example of true repentance. He is heartbroken because he has offended a Holy God. David's prayer in Psalm 51 is now a prayer that I am praying daily.

""Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment."

In closing, I just want to thank my friend for being a light in my life. For confessing and encouraging me to confess my sins also. I am blessed to have you in my life and I am enlightened by your love for Christ.



2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and honest heart you have! Jesus is transforming you in amazing ways, you are such a light to the world and your love for him is very encouraging to all. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. megan! thanks again for being so encouraging and honest! I look forward to becoming closer to you as we continue to grow closer to Christ together! love you!

    ReplyDelete